The mission of International Programs at Tarleton State University is to improve and make more intentional the University’s international focus by supporting a campus culture of global awareness. The aim of International Programs is to internationalize the curriculum, facilitate partnerships with foreign institutions, enhance international scholarly opportunities, increase international student recruitment to improve campus multi-culturalism, provide a welcoming and supportive environment for the international student community, and expand international experiences for all students.
WHY STUDY ABROAD?
- Broaden your horizons: See the world and find out that it's a very big place. Face new challenges and experience the thrill of being out of your comfort zone.
- Learn a new language: Immersion is the best way to learn a language. You are surrounded by native speakers on a daily basis. It's not long before you are learning by osmosis.
- Travel: With longer programs you will have the chance to travel on weekends. You can venture out to explore exotic places, some of them only a bus or train ride away!
- Get to know yourself: You will return with a new perspective and sometimes a new appreciation of your friends and family. How do you know home is so great when you have not seen how others live?
- Expand your world view: You will be well acquainted with a culture other than your own. In a relatively short amount of time you can be an expert in a variety of exotic and thought-provoking topics.
- Make friends around the world: You will meet the locals, of course, but you will also meet other international students. You will be able to name drop in a variety of languages.
- Develop hidden talents: Whenever you are put to the challenge, you will find new strengths and abilities. Whether it is map reading, menu deciphering, or negotiating train schedules, you will learn things you would never be able to learn at home.
- Immerse yourself in another culture: You will find incredible new foods, customs, traditions, and social atmospheres. You will have a better understanding and appreciation and the opportunity of other cultures and have the opportunity to witness a completely new way of life.
- Increase your professional value: Corporations, educational institutions, and federal agencies are looking for professionals with international knowledge and foreign language skills. Your resume must compete in a market that's all about globalization. Be sure your resume doesn't land at the bottom of the pile.