Return to Top
Campus Renovations and Construction
Campus Project Summary
Here’s a brief rundown on what’s happening as of September 2016:
- The architectural and engineering contract for renovations to Memorial Stadium has been awarded to Huckabee and Heery Sports. The $24 million project will expand seating to 9,400 and convert the west-side stands for home seating. View more information about plans for the future stadium project.
- The new traffic signal at the intersection of West Washington and St. Felix streets has been activated. Additionally, the university is adding almost 150 parking spaces in paved lots near St. Felix and Tarleton streets, Shirley and Lillian Streets and Jones and Cain Streets. These are expected to be done by mid-October. Gravel lots also will add to parking as structures along St. Felix, Tarleton, Sloan and Frey are demolished.
- Initial work has been completed to prepare the former Fire Station for its new role as home of the University Police Department. Alpha Construction has begun construction renovations. The facility at the northwest corner of campus is expected to be completed renovated by February, with the move of the University Police Department and Parking Services Office slated to follow. See more about the changes planned for these departments.
- Construction on a major infrastructure improvement at the center of campus has begun. The project will expand pedestrian walkways along Lillian, Vanderbilt and other campus core streets. At the same time, utility improvements will be made to eliminate flooding issues and enhance lighting. Scheduled for completion in November 2017, the project will bring a new beauty and aesthetics to campus and make it much better for our students as they walk from place to place. View information about this project.
- Phase 2 of the Pedestrian Mall project to beautify and improve the central campus area around Alumni Island has begun on the Campus Green. Work on Doc Blanchard infrastructure is in progress. Installation of electrical duct bank and concrete for the project has been slowed by weather, but is moving forward.
- The Agricultural Machinery and Fabrication Center progress continues, with roof installation and front aluminum installed. The $3.8 million, 24,000 square foot facility at the university farm will house laboratories for metal fabrication, agricultural power applications and agricultural structures, as well as classrooms, a computer laboratory and office and meeting space. Learn about the progress of the Agricultural Machinery & Fabrication Center.
- Installation of synthetic turf on the lower recreation fields northwest of the Recreational Sports Center and sand volleyball courts at the intersection of Rome and Frey streets is complete. The $2 million project covers 140,000 square feet (3.2 acres). Find out more about the exciting changes coming to the intramural fields.
- In a former parking area east of Memorial Stadium, two new residential living and learning centers are under construction – designated Traditions North and Traditions South. The two buildings will house more than 600 students, including the new Corps of Cadets and ROTC students. One also will have a new health and counseling center for students. The buildings are scheduled for completion during fall 2016. View time-lapse video of residence hall construction.
- In the center of campus, off Lillian, the former Traditions residence hall is being remodeled and expanded as the new residential hall for the Honors College. Designed to serve 436 students, the upgraded building will open in Fall 2016.
- 9/26/2016: TxDOT to activate new traffic signal at Washington, St. Felix intersection
- 9/16/2016: Parking garage at Bosque Crossing opening to residents Sunday morning
- 9/16/2016: Road Closure and Parking Restrictions between Vanderbilt, Cain, and Neblett roads
- 7/27/2016: Tarleton to close Lot P30 July 28-29 for soil sampling
- 7/20/2016: Portions of Ollie, Vanderbilt Streets to Close for Utilities Improvement Project
- 7/13/2016: TxDOT Begins Work on New Crosswalk, Traffic Signal Near Tarleton Campus
- 5/25/2016: Tarleton's Rec Sports to Install Synthetic Turf on Lower Intramural Fields
- 4/28/2016: Regents approve $25.7 Million for Tarleton Utility, Infrastructure Project
- 3/22/2016: Construction Work on the North Rock Gates and Doc Blanchard
- 2/18/2016: Major Project Estimated Construction Completion Dates
- 2/09/2016: Tarleton to renovate former city fire station, relocate campus police