Institutional Review Board
All research using human subjects -- even paper-pencil questionnaires and surveys to collect data inside Tarleton -- must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Tarleton State University could suffer serious sanctions, including withdrawal of all federal funding, if the appropriate committee approval is not obtained before research begins.
Tarleton's IRB is registered with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Completed applications for IRB approval should be submitted to Mekka Steinruck through the Office of Sponsored Projects, Davis Hall Rm. 111, Box T-0015. You may contact Mekka at 254-968-1815 or email.
How are IRB's Processed
- Once received in the OSP, the applications are logged in and assigned a number.
- Applications undergo a preliminary review to verify each researcher has completed CITI Training, a COI Statement has been attached, the form was completed properly, and to determine if the application is to be reviewed as exempt, expedited, or full board.
- The committee completes an initial review, recommendations resulting from this review are shared with the PI.
- Upon resubmission of the IRB proposal with reviewer recommendations incorporated, the committee completes a final review.
- Applicants are notified of the final results, typically two to four weeks after submission.
For questions, please contact Dr. Sally Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (817) 926-1101 or directly from TSU, extension 7222.
Beginning July, 1, 2014 - ALL new submissions and ALL active research must be accompanied with a certificate of CITI Training completion for every person noted as a research investigator. CITI training supersedes any current NIH training. Any submissions without CITI training documentation will be rejected until training is complete.
All faculty, staff, and students that are involved in any aspect of the research proposed by submission of an IRB protocol must complete training and submit training certificate with proposal.
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD MEMBERS
Committee for Human Subjects
- Lewis, Sally, Ph.D. - Chair
- Barry Lambert, Ph.D. (Ex-Officio)
- Barkley, Jordan, Ph.D.
- Burch, Gerald, Ph.D.
- Evans, Elaine, Ph.D.
- Gearhart, Chris, Ph.D.
- Haynes, Dr. Mike, Ph.D.
- Howard, Charlie, Ph.D. (Prisoner Advocate)
- Langley, Curtis, Ph.D.
- Phillips, JoAnne (Community Member)
- Rynearson, Kimberly, Ph.D.
- Styron, Kent, Director, Risk Management & Compliance
- Wittie, Roger, Ph.D. (Ex-Officio)
- Initial Review
- Continuing Review
- Conflict of Interest
- Amendment Application
- Completion Report
- Report of Potential Non-Compliance
- Unanticipated Problems and Adverse Event Report/Use of Human Subjects Research
IRB Proposal Tools
- Human Subject Regulations Decision Charts
- Informed Consent
- IRB Proposal Checklist
- Vulnerable Populations
- The Belmont Report: Ethical Principals and Guidelines for Research
Research Compliance Coordinator
- Mekka Steinruck - (254) 968-1815
IRB Meeting Schedule
December 22nd- if meeting is necessary prior to University Holiday
IRB Applications requiring "Full Board Review" are due 10 business days prior to the meeting in which they are to be reviewed.
Dates are subject to change without notice.