Learning Commons Renovation
The Dick Smith Library has been planning the Learning Commons for almost two years. The original concept was to create the commons as a space that will foster student success by
- providing flexible, technology-rich settings to include group collaboration areas, presentation practice rooms, open study areas, and quiet spaces for contemplative study,
- facilitating access to campus partners that provide academic support for students and faculty,
- offering multiple service points (i.e., research assistance, technology support, writing and tutoring services, etc.),
- enhancing delivery of library services and resources, and
- facilitating student and faculty interactions.
Thanks to the input of Tarleton students, faculty, and staff, along with the support of President Dottavio and his Executive Cabinet, we have finalized a design and will begin construction in August 2013. Funding for this $1.9 million project includes a $600,000 gift from Sodexo Dining Services, $1.1 million from the Library Access Fee, $100,000 PUF, and $100,000 Instructional Equipment. In addition to their generous gift, Sodexo will provide additional funding for equipment and fixtures to expand the coffee bar/café.
Check this web site frequently to learn about the project's status and for notices about changes or relocations in library services by the renovation. We look forward to the new services and features the Learning Commons will offer once the renovation is complete: an inviting, flexible environment that serves your needs for information discovery, collaboration, technology, and study.