Summer Stipends for Mentors
Faculty who will be mentoring one or more undergraduate student researchers during the summer (a full 10 week period from May through August) are eligible to apply for a Faculty Mentor Stipend of $2,500. Faculty Mentor Stipends are competitive awards that will be evaluated by the OSRCA Advisory Committee based on the following criteria:
- A well developed and well articulated plan for mentoring the student that demonstrates
- a significant potential benefit to the student,
- a substantial time commitment on the part of the faculty mentor, and
- evidence that the results of the research will lead to a publication and/or submitted grant proposal.
Faculty applying for Faculty Mentor Stipends are expected to articulate a broad awareness of how to effectively mentor undergraduate researchers. See the following resources on mentoring:
**A final report written by the student will need to be submitted to the Office of Student Research & Creative Activities (OSRCA). Faculty Mentors will receive the stipend upon receipt of the student’s final report (end of summer). The format and length of the student’s final report is up to the faculty mentor, but must include background information, the goal/objective of the project, and the findings/results.
Faculty mentors are encouraged to qualify this research experience as an Active Learning Experience for REAL credit (see http://www.tarleton.edu/real/).
- Step 1: Identify a student (or students) with whom you wish to work.
- Step 2: Determine how the student will be supported financially (Undergraduate Research Assistantships are available, and the application is included in the Faculty Mentor Stipend application below).
- Step 3: Complete and submit the application form (Word .docx)
- For 2013, the application deadline is Friday, April 12th at 5 PM.