Skip to page content
Return to Top

Health Insurance and Immunizations

Insurance Requirements  

Medical services in the United States are privatized. That means that the government does not provide medical treatment, and the patient is responsible for all costs. Medical treatment can be very expensive, so many Americans carry medical insurance to subsidize medical costs.

International students at all Texas A&M University campuses are required to carry medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance during all periods of enrollment.

Medical insurance pays a percentage of the cost of medical treatment for injuries and illness. Evacuation insurance helps pay for medical transportation, should a student become so seriously ill as to require hospitalization and want to be transported to his or her home country. Repatriation insurance provides money for transportation and related services if a student dies. No one wants to think about such difficult circumstances but being financially prepared for emergencies will help the student and the student’s family avoid unnecessary distress and debt.

Registration Holds  

Students who fail to provide proof of insurance to the International office may have a hold placed on their registration.  This means you will not be able to register for any of your classes until you have provided proof of insurance.

Important requirement for all first time students and new transfer students living on-campus

A&M Insurance

 International students are covered by the BlueCross BlueShield of Texas Academic HealthPlans.  The fee for your insurance coverage is combined with the tuition and fees you pay as an international student at Tarleton.  Failure to pay your tuition bill in a timely manner could result in an interruption of medical coverage, which could in turn result in a hold being placed on your records.

 Graduate students who are employed as graduate assistants are eligible for insurance coverage through the university Employee Services Department. This is a highly economical option as the university pays part of the cost of the policy. Visit Employee Services in person to enroll in this plan. 

How to File an Insurance Claim

When you visit a clinic or hospital you will be asked for proof of insurance. You must present the card issued by the insurance company that states your policy number, your name, coverage dates and other information. If you have insurance coverage through A&M system you can file a claim through BlueCross BlueShield of Texas Academic HealthPlans.

After you have received treatment, the doctor’s office or hospital may tell you that they will file a claim for you. That means that they will send a bill in your name to the insurance company. When you receive a statement or a bill from the doctor’s office or hospital, you must personally contact your insurance company for assistance and instructions. Questions regarding your claims must be directly answered by your insurance company. The Office of International Programs is not allowed to handle or negotiate the claim for you.

Important Note: Most insurance companies will not pay 100% of your bill. You are responsible to pay the deductible amount and some portion of your bill.

Seeking Medical Care Locally

Unless you have an emergency condition, you will typically not go to the hospital.  In America, it is standard to go a private care physician for routine medical situations. 

In the Yellow Pages of the Stephenville phone directory, look under Medical Centers, Clinics, or Physicians & Surgeons—M.D. for a list of local places you can go for medical assistance.

Meningitis Information

Information regarding Meningitis shots for incoming students who want to live on campus

Student Health Center

For minor illnesses or accidents, the Tarleton State University’s Student Health Center provides access to doctors and nurses, free of charge to students of Tarleton.

Location Thompson Student Center, Room 212
Corner of Lillian and Vanderbilt
Main Line 254-968-9271
Fax 254-968-9710
Pharmacy 254-968-9766
Nurse Hot line 254-968-9932

  • Care of minor acute illnesses
  • First aid treatment of minor injuries, suturing simple lacerations
  • Services of a medical doctor or nurse practitioner at specified times
  • Administration of allergy injections as directed by student's allergist
  • Consultations regarding any health problem
  • Blood pressure checks
  • Medications and other supplies available for the treatment of minor acute illnesses and injuries
  • Crutches loaned
  • Continuation of health care following surgery or any illness as directed by physician
  • Vaccines Available
  • Selected lab tests ordered by your practitioner are available for a reduced cost
  • Assistance with referral to physician or hospital when deemed necessary
  • Health literature is available
  • Women's Health - birth control, physical exam, by appointment only
  • Student Advocate for physical disabilities

24-hour Emergency Services

For 24-hour Emergency Services, you should use Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital.

Location 411 N. Belknap
(at the corner of Graham St. and Tarleton St.)
Main Line 254-965-1500


For extreme emergency situations, you can call 911.  Key features of 911 are:

  • Calls are allowed from any phone, including pay phones without coin
  • Calls are routed to the proper local emergency agency
  • The caller's location and phone number are displayed for quick response

Special Note: Health insurance is required.
Please note that dental treatment is not covered by health insurance and is also expensive in the U.S. It would be advisable to check with your dentist at home in time to have any needed treatment completed before you travel.
If you are using a particular medication, you might want to bring enough to get you through the first few weeks here. Medicine is expensive in the U.S. Some medicines, which are sold over the counter in your home country, require a prescription in the U.S. If you bring prescription medication into the U.S., bring a letter from your physician stating the name of the medication, the quantity being carried, and the medical condition being treated. Some medications used in other countries are illegal in the U.S. If you have any questions concerning this, you may contact the U.S. embassy or U.S. Consulate in your country.