Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

Why are you sending things to the wrong email?

The official channel for University communication is a student's email account. Students should expect all correspondence to be conducted through this method.

If you have other email addresses in the Tarleton system, we may carbon copy those addresses as well.

You must check your account frequently.  Not using it is not an excuse.

Why did I get an email saying to drop EDU 320 ("PD I")?
You must have 60 EARNED hours showing on your Tarleton transcript to be eligible to take EDU 320, PD I.  Be sure to check DuckTrax and make sure all courses are showing.  There are no exceptions to the 60-hour rule.
Why did I get an email saying to drop EDU 330 ("PD II")?
You probably received this email because we do not have a record of you being admitted into the Teacher Education Program.  This is a requirement before you can take any professional development courses besides EDU 320.  If you believe our office made a mistake or overlooked your name, possibly due to a name change, be sure to contact us ASAP.
Why is your office still using my old name/address/phone/etc.?
You must make all changes online AND with our office.  Changes made online in DuckTrax or with the registrar's office do not automatically come to us.  We must manually make these changes on our databases.  Any changes can be emailed to
Am I considered "Elementary" or "Secondary/All-Level"?

If your certificate level/area is EC-4 (being phased out), EC-6, 4-8 (all subjects), or All-Level Special Education, you are considered "Elementary".

If your certificate level/area is 6-12, 8-12, or any All-Level aside from Sp Ed, you are considered "Secondary/All-Level".

Is there a specific order my application packet should be in?

We would prefer that applications be submitted in the following order:


  • Application (contains your name and address)
  • Checklist
  • Certification Plan Acknowledgement and Responsibility Agreement paper clipped to all coursework related documents such as: Degree Evaluation, Transcript, Certificate Plan, Transfer Coursework (Focus Report)
  • Reference/Acknowledgement Form followed by 2 written essays and 3 letters of reference in the order they are listed on the form.  If all letters are available, packet can be stapled.  If any letters are missing, please use a paperclip.
  • Current Enrollment Form
  • Test Scores (if available)


  • Application (contains your name and address)
  • Application p.2 (where you declare your certificate area)
  • Checklist
  • Departmental Screening Verification Form
  • Certificate Plan
  • Transcript
  • Current Enrollment Form
  • Test Scores (if available)
Where do I send my letters of recommendation? (Elementary only)

If your letters of recommendation are not included in your application when you apply, they can be mailed to our office at the following address:

Teacher Education Program

Box T-0790

Stephenville, TX  76402

Attn: Allison Andrews

Letters should be addressed "To Whom it May Concern".

How do I find out if I have taken and passed the THEA?
If you do not have a copy of your scores from when you took the THEA, Accuplacer, Asset, or Compass, your advisor or Allison Andrews should be able to provide you with all scores that were submitted to Tarleton by checking DuckTrax or WebXtender. 
I was denied. What do I need to do to reapply?

You must reapply with all new paperwork.  We do not "reactivate" any applications.

If you are elementary (EC-6, 4-8, or All-Level Sp Ed), your reapplication must contain:

Page 1 of application, which must be turned into the C&I secretary in Room 320 of the EDU building at least two week prior to meeting with your advisor.



Certificate Plan Acknowledgement/Responsibility Form (obtained from your advisor)

Degree Evaluation (may also include certificate plan and transcripts)

Current Enrollment Form

Test Scores

The following items may be used from your previous application if desired:

Signed Reference/Acknowledgement Form

Three letters of reference

Two type-written responses

** You will not be asked to pay again if you tell us you are reapplying.  Depending on the reason you were denied, you may or may not be asked to repeat the interview and writing process.

If you are Secondary/All-Level, your reapplication must include:


Application P. 2 (where you state your certificate field)


Certificate Plan


Current Enrollment Form

Department Screening Verification if not turned in with original application

Substitution Forms that have been completed since last application

** You will not be asked to pay again if you tell us you are reapplying.

I am already admitted to the Teacher Ed Program, but I made a D or dropped below a 2.6 this semester. What happens?

After you have been admitted into the Teacher Education Program, if at any time you no longer meet the requirements for admission/retention, you will be placed on PROBATION for one long semester (Spring or Fall).  If you rectify the problem, you will be lifted off of probation and returned to good standing.  If you do not, you will be dropped from the program.  You will not be allowed to continue in your professional development courses or student teach until you have reapplied and been admitted back into the program.

For example, if you made a D or an F in a class in your major certification field in the Spring, you would be sent a letter in early summer saying you have been placed on probation for the Fall semester.  If you retake that class and make a C or better during the Summer or during the Fall, you will be lifted off of probation and returned to good standing.  At the end of the Fall semester if you have not replaced the grade with a C or better, you would be dropped from the program.

You must be in good standing before you student teach. 

Please contact the office at 254-968-9815 or the Certification Officer directly at 254-968-9817 if you have specific questions or concerns.