THEA Scores & Alternative Tests Scores Required for Admission
THEA Requirement - How to meet
Alll applicants must take and pass the THEA (previously called TASP) or an approved alternative: Accuplacer, Asset, or Compass. All three parts must be passed, but applicants may use a combination of tests and test dates. There is no time limit on how old these tests may be. The new TSI Assessment test cannot be used.
The Accuplacer, Compass, and Quick THEA are given at Tarleton, but require an appointment. Call 254-968-9423 or go to Academic Testing in Room 201 in the Math Building for more information. If you need to take the writing portion, please ask to take the essay portion first and tell them that it is for the Teacher Education Program.
All parts must be passed by the end of the application semester.
If you need to find out your current test scores, please check with your advisor or send your name and ID number in an email to email@example.com.
|ACCUPLACER:||Writing||6 on essay OR 5 on essay and 80 on skills|
|Math||63 on ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA|
|ASSET||Writing||6 on essay OR 5 on essay and 40 on skills|
|Math||38 on MATH 2/Elementary Algebra|
|COMPASS||Writing||6 on essay OR 5 on essay and 59 on skills|
|Math||39 on ALGEBRA|
Alternative Testing Locations
- Tarleton - Southwest Metroplex Center - Offereing Accuplacer Monday - Thursday to Tarleton students only. Call Chelsea at 817-732-7300 or stop by Suite 500 in the center to make an appointment.
- MCC - Waco - The Accuplacer has been reinstated at this campus for Tarleton Teacher Ed Program students. Students will need to identify themselves as a TSU TEP student needing to take the ACCUPLACER exam for program requirements. Please have the scores sent to TSU admissions via: Fax 254-968-9951 or email to Elston@tarleton.edu.
- Hill College - They are offering the Quick THEA for $29, plus a $10 proctoring fee. Call (817) 760-5814 to schedule an appointment.
- Temple College - They are offering the Accuplacer and Quick THEA, Mon - Thur. Contact information is firstname.lastname@example.org and 254-298-8586.
- Texas Woman's University -We have confirmed that Texas Woman's University in Denton is administering the Accuplacer test and you do not have to be a student there to take it. They are only publishing test dates one month at a time. To see test dates and to register, go to: http://www.twu.edu/aac/accuplacer-test-dates.asp.
The following universities are reportedly still giving one or more of the exams but are not nearby. Please check with the institution directly if you would like to test at their location. They must be willing to administer the test to someone not enrolled at their institution and must be willing to release the scores to you or send them to Tarleton.
- Abilene Christian University (Abiliene) Gives THEA http://www.acu.edu/campusoffices/testing/testingschedule.html
- Texas State University (San Marcos) http://www.txstate.edu/trec/studentTesting/placementandReadiness.html
- Texas Tech (Lubbock) http://www.depts.ttu.edu/testing/index.php
- University of the Incarnate World (San Antonio) http://sites.uiw.edu/testingservices/
- UT-San Antonio - Gives Accuplacer, but it appears you need to be a student at UTSA. May be giving the THEA to anyone in October http://utsa.edu/testing/test_registration.html