Classroom Teacher - Teacher Education Program
If you completed the Teacher Education Program at Tarleton State University, please use the following instructions to apply online for your teaching certificate from the State Board for Educator Certification.
If you are a current student, you must wait until you have attended the Certification and Evaluation Seminar at the end of your student teaching semester and passed all tests before you can apply. Applying before that time could result in your application being removed.
Applying Online for Your Certification
1. Go to http://tea.texas.gov
2. Choose TEAL Login from the top.
3. Login with your username and password or choose one of the forgot options.
4. Under Educator Certification Online System for Educators, click on Educator. You should be taken to ECOS (blue background.)
5. Verify your profile information is correct and click Continue at the bottom.
6. From the left hand menu, choose Applications.
7. Choose Standard Certificate Texas Program.
• Click on Apply for Certification and follow the instructions to apply.
• If there are any concerns on how to answer a questions, please contact TEA at (512)936-8400.
• Choose the correct recommending entity – Tarleton State University (University Based)
• Subject applying for should be the name of your certificate. (Yes, you can abbreviate.)
8. When you complete the application, you will be given the option to pay for the application ($77.00) and fingerprinting ($39.50), if applicable.
• If you were fingerprinted by your school district, as a substitute, or you already hold a certificate in Texas, you may not have to redo the fingerprint portion. Do not pay for it at this time. Allow the system a few days to match up your previous fingerprints.
• To check on your fingerprint status, log back into ECOS and click on Application/Fee Status from the left hand menu. Then click on View Fingerprint Status.
o If it says Fingerprint Complete, you do not need to take any further action.
o If it says Fingerprint in Progress, it means that they have received your payment for fingerprints and the process may or may not have been started yet.
o If there is no status, it means they are waiting on payment before the process can be started.
• To pay at a later time for your application and/or fingerprints, log back into ECOS and click on Application/Fee Status from the left hand menu. Click on ***PAY ONLINE NOW for each item still awaiting payment.
9. You will be sent a system generated email from TEA once you have applied. You will get a second email once you have been recommended by Tarleton. If you have paid for your certificate and your fingerprint status is complete, start checking the next day for your certificate.
Do not apply for your certificate until you have passed all required TExES exams.
We cannot recommend you for certification until your degree has been posted on your transcript. We hope that happens within a week after the Graduation ceremony.
This application will only be for the certificate area(s) you completed at Tarleton State University while in the Teacher Education Program.
Once you are a certified teacher, you will be able to take additional classroom based TExES exams. If you pass, you will need to add them to your certificate. Instead of choosing Standard Certificate Texas Program, you will choose Additional Certification by Examination. You can add more than one additional certificate at a time for one fee if you wait until you have passed multiple exams to apply.
TEA requires all fingerprints to be submitted electronically. The current approved vendor is MorphoTrust. Once payment has been made in ECOS, you will be issued a FAST Fingerprint Pass. This Fast Pass and a valid photo ID are required at your appointment. An additional $9.95 fee for scanning your fingerprints is due at the appointment. It may take 5-7 business days for TEA to receive fingerprints after scanning.
A list of current locations for fingerprinting can be found at http://www.l1enrollment.com/locations/?st=tx. You must make an appointment and will need your FAST pass before doing so. The closest one to Stephenville is Brownwood. There are locations in Fort Worth and Waco.
All questions about your application or fingerprinting should be directed to TEA at (512) 936-8400. You can also reach them by email by clicking on the "Contact Us" link on their homepage.
If you have applied and want to check on the status of your application, please feel free to contact Allison Andrews at 254-968-9815 or email@example.com.