TMATE Program Entry Requirements
Minimum entry requirements are:
- A bachelor degree or better from a regionally accredited university. Applicants with an out-of-country degree must have their transcripts equivocated by an approved agency.
- Official transcripts from every post-secondary institution (excluding Tarleton) are required.
- A total of 12 hours in your certification content area with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75. Please choose your content area from the list of certification areas TMATE offers. State law limits the initial certification to one content area.
- Passing scores on the appropriate certification content area TExES, Texas Examination of Educator Standards exam. Register as a PACT, Pre-Admission Content Test candidate.
- Admission by the College of Graduate Studies
- Full Admission by the College of Graduate Studies requires at least a 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of coursework
- Conditional Admission by the College of Graduate Studies requires at least a 2.5 in your last 60 hours of coursework
- All applicants must submit acceptable scores on the General GRE
- Those pursuing certification in one of the social sciences may substitute LSAT scores
- Those pursuing certification in business may substitute GMAT scores
- Those with a master degree and no GRE scores, must submit passing scores on all sections of the THEA
- 30 hours of field-based experience in the intended certification area
- An oral interview session and completion of an essay
Curiously, teaching the subject matter has been the least concern of my first year of teaching. I have learned that the role of a teacher goes far beyond imparting knowledge of a subject to students.
--Ken Frazier, 2006-2007
I can't remember a year in college when I learned as much as I did this year. I might have to learn more bookwork, but I learned more about myself this year.
--Conan Sachsenmeyer, 2006