Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

TMATE Overview

TMATE, Tarleton Model for Accelerated Teacher Education, is a one year alternative certification program. The program begins with pre-internship classes followed by an internship during the fall and spring semesters. Successful completion of the internship and the associated coursework results in a recommendation for the Texas Standard Teaching Certificate.

Credits earned through TMATE can count toward a Master's Degree through Tarleton State University.

Expand AllContract All

How do I apply?

Apply by completing the online Graduate School Application and downloading and completing the TMATE Application.

Why do I need to make a separate application to the College of Graduate Studies?

In order to enroll in the graduate level TMATE courses, you must be admitted to Tarleton State University though the Graduate Office. The credits you will earn may be applied to a Master's Degree.

What is the deadline to apply?

Fall - July 31

Spring - October 31

Summer - March 31

What if I will not graduate until after the application deadline?

If you will graduate after the application deadline but before classes begin, you may be admitted contingent on satisfactory completion of current courses and conferral of a degree.

What are the entry requirements?
What will I be eligible to teach?

You must teach in a certification area approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The complete list of certification areas is displayed at Certification Areas Offered through TMATE.

How do I qualify for a certification area?

Courses on your transcript(s) will be used to determine your certification content area.

12 semester hours in a specific content area with 2.75 GPA are required for:

  • 4-8 content areas
  • 7-12 content areas
  • EC-12 content areas

12 semester hours with 2.75 GPA in math, English, science and social studies (one each) are required for:

  • EC-6 Generalist
  • 4-8 Generalists
  • EC-12 Special Education
Is a test required to qualify for a certification area?

Yes. You must pass the corresponding content area TExES examination. The exam must be passed as a prerequisite for applying to the TMATE program. Study guides for each TExES are available at the Preparation Materials tab on the ETS website.

How do I register to take the TExES?

Register for the content area TExES exam(s) as a Pre-Admission Contest Testing Candidate, PACT.
If you qualify for more than one certification area, you may take more than one content area TExES. Qualifying for multiple certification areas will increase your employability. However, initial certification will be granted in only one certification area, the area in which you complete the internship.

Are additional TExES examinations required for certification?

Yes. In addition to the content area TExES, all interns must pass the Pedagogy and Professional Professional
Responsibilities (PPR) TExES which will be taken during the internship.

Additional TExES exams are required for the following:

•    EC-6 Generalist and 4-8 Generalist must pass the English as a Second Language Supplemental (ESL) TExES.
•    EC-6 Bilingual must pass the Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT) and the Bilingual Supplemental.
•    Foreign language must pass the Languages Other Than English (LOTE).

May I certify in more than one subject?

No. Your initial Standard Certificate will be granted in the certification area corresponding to your internship.
TEA regulations allow you to add certification areas following your initial certification.

How long does it take to complete certification?

One year. This duration includes the pre-internship coursework, plus the two internship semesters.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. TMATE students are eligible to apply for financial aid. Please visit the Financial Aid  website
for information or call 254-968-9070. Short term loans (under Forms) are available.

What is the FAFSA school code for Tarleton State University?


What funds are available for applicants related to the military and their dependents?

Your GI Bill benefits may cover certification testing fees and some program expenses. Please visit the Tarleton Military Veterans Services Center for information on benefits provided. 254-968-1805

The Texas Troops to Teachers website is another source of information. 1-800-810-5484

Are any scholarships available to TMATE interns?

The College of Graduate Studies awards a $500 scholarship to graduate students enrolling for their first
semester of graduate work. To qualify, you must declare your intent to earn a graduate degree and be
enrolled for at least 6 graduate semester hours. Additional scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
Please visit the Scholarship Office website.

What is the Internship Fee and how will I pay it?

The Internship Fee of $2600 supports the costs associated with supervising and mentoring TMATE interns.
The fee is deducted from the intern's salary, in most cases.

Are the classes online?

The three classes are primarily face-to-face instruction, but are augmented with online components.
The EDU 599 Internship classes have 3 or 4 face-to-face meetings on Saturday.

When and where are the classes?

Classes meet Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
All TMATE classes meet at the SW Metroplex location, 6777 Camp Bowie Blvd, Fort Worth, Texas 76116.
Other locations will be considered with a large enough enrollment.

Where may I teach?

TMATE interns may apply in any accredited private or public school within an approximate 150 mile radius of Fort Worth. Schools located beyond this radius may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

How do I get a teaching position?

You must apply to accredited public or private schools within the TMATE service area for a position in your certification area.

Will I be certified during the internship?

Yes. TMATE interns teach with a Probationary Certificate during the internship year.

Are TMATE interns “Highly Qualified”?

Yes. Interns are “Highly Qualified” as defined by No Child Left Behind.

What if I don’t get a teaching position?

In the event you do not locate employment, you have two options.

  1. Request your admission to TMATE to remain active for an additional year, thus allowing you time to secure an internship.  TMATE will keep your file active for two years after you complete your coursework.  If at that time you still have not secured an internship, you file will be inactivated.

  2. Complete certification requirements by serving as a clinical teacher.

What is “clinical teaching”?

Clinical teaching lasts one semester in a school under the mentorship of a certified teacher and under the supervision of Tarleton faculty. Tarleton will facilitate your placement for the clinical practicum. You will not be employed or paid during the practicum. More information can be found at Clinical Teaching.

Is there a cost for the clinical teaching?

The cost is $1,300, payable in four installment of $325, as well as tuition for the internship course.

How can I get more information?

Attend an Information Session at  the Fort Worth location to obtain a full overview of the TMATE program. Information Sessions are scheduled throughout the year. To register online for a session, please click here.