TIP SHEET FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jan. 25, 2013
24/7 Contact: Jennifer Edwards, email@example.com, (254) 307-2811
EDITORS: TSMRI board members are available for interviews (in person or via videoconference) for Data Privacy Day story packages.
Social Media Research Group Encourages you to Take 5 for Social Media Safety
STEPHENVILLE, Texas -- The Texas Social Media Research Institute (TSMRI) is encouraging everyone to “Take 5” for social media safety on Jan. 28, Data Privacy Day.
“In our busy lives, we must set aside just a few moments every so often to check our data privacy -- and for most of us, that means social media,” said Dr. Jennifer Edwards, founder of the Texas Social Media Research Institute.
TSMRI offers these five tips for your quick five-minute social media privacy check-up:
1. Location-based data. Check your smartphone or tablet to see if location-based data is enabled, and disable it if you don’t want others to know your location.
2. Google or Bing your full name, with and without quotation marks and using different keywords, to see what information about you is available online.
3. Beef up your password. Ensure you have strong (and different) passwords across accounts, so that you are less likely to be hacked.
4. Check the application permissions on your Facebook & Twitter accounts. Delete any that you don’t absolutely need.
5. Stay informed. Watch for news stories about privacy updates and warnings.
The group’s members hope business leaders will encourage their employees to “Take 5,” and that teachers will carve out five minutes on Jan. 28 for age-appropriate discussions about online safety.
Data Privacy Day, every Jan. 28, is sponsored by the National Cyber Security Alliance: http://www.staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/
TSMRI will host “Who’s Creeping You?” from 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30 on the Tarleton State University – Stephenville campus in the Dick Smith Library. Organizers will share sites you should be checking and what you can do to protect your privacy.
About TSMRI: The Texas Social Media Research Institute is a cross-collaborative institute consisting of faculty, staff, and students who are focused on social media research and education in Texas. TSMRI is based at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. Follow TSMRI’s blog at http://tsmri.blogspot.com/ or @TSMRI on Twitter for social media news.
# # #