Welcome to the Department of English & Languages!
With a distinguished faculty of literary scholars, writers, language specialists, technical writers, rhetoricians, and a diverse group of undergraduate and graduate students, we challenge you to explore new directions and find your place in the world in the Department of English and Languages.
Our mission is to provide excellent undergraduate education in English, Spanish and French, and a strong graduate program in English. We are dedicated to excellent teaching, concern for individual students, significant scholarship, and public service. Our department contributes to the university mission through its long-term commitment to:
- Provide a key component in the education of undergraduate students by offering core curriculum courses in composition and literature, foreign language instruction in Spanish and French, and support courses in technical writing.
- Provide assistance to students requiring remediation in writing.
- Provide strong specializations in English and Technical Writing and Spanish for those seeking the Bachelor of Arts degree with or without secondary teacher certification and provide majors with effective academic advising and assistance.
- Provide courses leading to the minor in English, Spanish, and technical writing for all degree-seeking students and to a concentration in English and Spanish for those seeking the Bachelor of Science degree in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Provide a sound program of advanced study leading to the Master of Arts degree in English with both thesis and non-thesis tracks.
- Provide opportunities for intellectual, literary, and cultural enrichment, and promote international understanding and involvement for students and faculty.
- Provide service to the university and the community while offering students and faculty opportunities to participate in public service.
The Department of English and Languages offers programs of study leading to the Bachelor Arts--either with or without secondary school certification--with options in English and Spanish. Additionally, the department offers a minor in technical writing. On the graduate level the Master of Arts degree is offered in English, now with online options.
- Dr. Mollick: Editor of Political Women: Language and Leadership
Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:46:47 -0500
- Dr. Chappell's New Publication
Thu, 05 Sep 2013 14:15:39 -0500
- Recent Faculty Promotions
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 14:45:22 -0600
- M.A. IN ENGLISH IS NOW OFFERED ONLINE!
Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:33:48 -0500