The Technical Writing Award
The Technical Writing Award is an annual prize given to the best report written for English 309: Technical Writing. This $250 award must be nominated by both the students’ technical writing instructor and a professor in their disciplines. The purpose of the award is:
- To improve the overall academic writing abilities of all Tarleton State University students.
- To improve the professional writing abilities of all Tarleton State University students within their major fields of study.
The prize will be awarded in May of each year; therefore, students in the preceding summer sessions and fall and spring will be qualified to submit their reports. The deadline for submissions will be April 30 of each year. Judges for the award will be technical writing faculty.
Criteria for Submission:
- Must be a book-formatted report of at least 10 content pages in length
- Must include appropriate documentation of sources and copyrighted materials
- Must include identified, referenced, quality graphics (effective data displays, tables, photos, diagrams; NO clip art or images downloaded from the Internet)
- Must be discipline-specific (student’s major must be the same as the discipline for which the work is written)
- Must be original work
- Must be audience specific and reader-centered
- Must adhere to the conventions for the report’s type (for example, feasibility report, empirical research report, recommendation report)
- Must use a style appropriate for the reader and document type
- Must conform to high standards of grammar, spelling, punctuation and language usage.
- Must demonstrate intermediate to advanced skills in word processing (using paragraph styles, page layout, headers/footers and so on)
- Must be accompanied by a PowerPoint slide presentation of the report that the writer could use in a professional oral presentation.
- The submission deadline is April 30.
- The report and PowerPoint presentation and all accompanying files must be burned on a CD-ROM. Supplemental files would include any digital images, Excel spreadsheets with charts, Photoshop or Illustrator files. All files must be included. Your document should be submitted in Word (.doc) or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
- The CD-ROM and the submission form (pdf or word doc) should be mailed to:
Mr. Nick Lilly
Department of English and Languages
Tarleton State University
Stephenville , Texas 76402
Funding for this award comes from Bill and Barbara Nix. Mr. W. L. (Bill) Nix is a 1951 graduate of Tarleton and has served as the President of the Tarleton State University Foundation, Inc. Board of Directors and a member of the Centennial Campaign for the Twenty-first Century Advisory Board. Mr. Nix is currently a Board Member Emeritus on the Tarleton State University Foundation, Inc.'s Board of Directors. Mr. Nix and his wife Barbara have established many scholarships at Tarleton that benefit many students each year. Mr. and Mrs. Nix are very involved in the Stephenville community. Mr. Nix contributed the money for this award to encourage our students to write and communicate professionally and effectively.