Bachelor of Fine Arts students in Theatre at Tarleton State University must serve an internship in a professional theatre related company for a period of two summer terms, a minimum of 12 weeks following their Junior year. The internship is directed by the Tarleton faculty advisor, Mark Holtorf, and must be student initiated.
- The intern is responsible, with the guidance of the faculty advisor, for locating and making arrangements to obtain an internship. The theatre or company must be approved for internship by Tarleton State University for 3 credit hours.
- The intern must register for DRAM 4384 for both Summer terms (a total of 3 credit hours) at Tarleton State University and pay tuition to the University. It is the intern's responsibility to pay tuition in a timely manner following dates published in the Tarleton Catalog.
- The intern is responsible for paying all living, travel, and other expenses incurred through the internship.
- The intern must represent Tarleton in a responsible and professional manner by action and appropriate behavior and dress while in the internship status.
- The intern may receive monetary compensation for his/her work while an intern by the employing Theatre or company.
- The intern is responsible for providing a video tape of his/her work if requested by the faculty advisor should an on-site visitation be impossible due to distance or lack of funding by Tarleton State University.
The Internship Supervisor
The Theatre or company on-site supervisor is responsible for providing:
- A contract stating specific dates of internship, and job responsibilities.
- A proper professional environment.
- Adequate training and safe working conditions for the intern.
- Preparation and submission of reports and/or videotapes for the duration of the internship as specified in the contract.
Tarleton Internship Advisor
The Tarleton faculty advisor:
- Coordinates the internship.
- Obtains University approval of the cooperating Theatre or company.
- Serves as a liaison between the Theatre or company and the University.
- Actively supervises the intern during the internship.
A sampling of the companies that Tarleton students have served with include:
- Dallas Theatre Center; Dallas, TX
- Ohio Light Opera; Wooster, OH
- The Point Theatre; Kerville, TX
- Hip Pocket Theatre; Fort Worth, TX
- Oklahoma Shakespeare Festival; Durant, OK
- Texas Shakespeare Festival; Kilgore, TX
- Olney Theatre; Olney, Maryland
- "Texas" an outdoor musical drama; Canyon, TX
- Powerhouse Players; Salida, CO
- Shakespeare in the Park; Fort Worth, TX
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Summer Theatre Company 30; Eau Claire, WI
- Williamstown Theatre Festival; Willianstown, MA
- Garland Summer Musicals; Garland, TX
- Alaska Theatre of Youth; Anchorage, AK
- Porthouse Theatre; Kent, OH
- Des Moines Metro Opera; Indianola, IA
- Garlard Civic Theatre; Garland, TX
- Butterfield Stage Players; Gainesville, TX
- Texas Nonprofit Theatres, Inc.
- Six Flags Over Texas; Arlington, TX
- Balibay Theatre Camps, Inc.; Camptown, PA
- Tri-State Center for the Arts; Sharon, CT