Admission Requirements for Generic BSN Students
Entrance to the BSN Program for generic nursing students is a two-step competitive process. Due to issues with program capacity (limited faculty resources, clinical space, and lab space), meeting minimum requirements for each step is necessary but not sufficient to gain program admission.
STEP I Selection for Tarleton Three Preadmission Nursing Courses (NUR 2260, 2265, & 2355)
- Admission to Tarleton State University.
- Completion of at least 49 general education and non-nursing prerequisite credits from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum grade of "C".
- Achieve a minimum GPA of 3.0 on completed designated English and Science prerequisite courses (ENGL 1301 & 1302, CHEM 1407 or 1411, BIOL 2401, 2402, and BIOL 2420 or 2421).
- Completion of at least two of the four required science courses (Chemistry, A&P I, A&P II and Microbiology) by the end of this semester.
- Achieve a minimum of 24 course points. Find out more about the point system.
Step II Program Admission
- Completion of the 59 general education and non-nursing prerequisite credits from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum grade of "C" These courses are to be completed prior to the first class day following program admission.
- Achieve a minimum GPA of 3.0 on designated English and Science prerequisite courses prior to the first class day: (a) ENGL 1301 and 1302; (b) CHEM 1407 or 1411 (c) BIOL 2401 and 2402; and (d) BIOL 2420 or 2421 by the end of the semester you are enrolled in preadmission courses.
- Completion of the three preadmission nursing courses (NUR 2260, 2265, and 2355) at Tarleton with a grade of "B" or better.
- Achieve an Adjusted Individual Total TEAS® Score = national baccalaureate program (Program Type - BSN) average (Mean-Program) or have >= 1110 on the SAT or >= 24 on the ACT.
- Only TEAS® scores submitted directly from ATI or from an authorized testing center will be accepted. Scores submitted from a testing center at a college/university other that Tarleton must bear the authorized seal/signature of the testing center.
- Achieve a minimum of 100 selection points (Course, GPA, & Entry Test points) before the residency points are added.
- A point system is used to select students for admission to the Nursing Program at Tarleton State University (TSU). Students who submit all application materials and the Assessment Technologies Institute® (ATI) Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS®)scores by the deadline and meet admission requirements will be ranked on a list in descending order according to their total number of points. Slots will be filled from the point list until classes are full. Find out more about the point system.
- The admission list is eliminated immediately after the last date to register for university credit. Students not admitted must submit a new application and application fee to be considered for the next admission cycle. New references and TEAS scores are not required.
- Be eligible for RN licensure upon graduation. Must receive criminal background clearance by the Texas Board of Nursing and answer no to eligibility questions or receive a Declaratory Order before acceptance (see part IV of the Department of Nursing application for more details).
Admission Process for Generic BSN Students
The process to apply for program admission is a two-step competitive process. The two-step process to enter the nursing program is separate from and in addition to the application to Tarleton. Acceptance by Tarleton and the Department of Nursing are required. To be considered for the program admission the individual MUST meet admission requirements and submit application materials to Tarleton and the Department of Nursing by the specified deadline.
Step I: Selection for Preadmission Nursing Courses
- Apply to Tarleton State University. Application is online through Apply Texas.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended to the office of Undergraduate Admissions. This process includes a nonrefundable fee of $30.
- Determine when to take preadmission courses. The preadmission courses serve as the application pool for the program. Enrollment in the preadmission courses is competitive and requires permission.
- Use the Evaluation to Determine Readiness to Take Preadmission Courses form. If you require assistance in determining your eligibility for the pre-admission courses, visit with an advisor at the TSU Academic Advising Center or make an appointment with Nursing Faculty advisor. Please call (254) 968-9139 for an appointment.
- If you believe you are ready for the pre-admission courses, seek permission for an override into preadmission nursing courses by completing the student section of the Permission to Register for Preadmission Courses form. Deadline for submitting the form to the Nursing Office is March 15 for the fall semester and October 15 for the spring semester.
- Students will be notified regarding permission status for the pre-admission courses by the email address on the Permission form.
- The completed form is only applicable for one semester. You must submit a new form by the deadline if you are not selected to register for the preadmission courses or, if selected, choose not to register for the pre-admission courses in the semester specified on the form.
Step II: Program Application
- Apply to the Department of Nursing at Tarleton State University during enrollment in the preadmission courses (March 15 for Fall entry and October 15 for Spring entry). The Department of Nursing paper application materials are available in the Nursing Office and on this website.
- Submit a nonrefundable fee of $35 (cashier's check or money order only). Applications submitted after the application deadline or without the application fee will not be considered.
- Submit TEAS® scores, completed and signed application form, required narrative, 3 letters of recommendation (may use department form for references), and the nonrefundable application fee to the Nursing Office or via mail.
- Evaluation to Determine Readiness to Take Preadmission Courses
- Permission to Register for Preadmission Courses Form
- Application - Generic and LVN Entry Students
- Reference Form to use for recommendations
- Point System
- A non-refundable processing fee of $35.00 must be paid when the application is submitted. The $35.00 processing fee must be paid by cashier's check or money order and made payable to TSU Nursing. No cash, credit cards or personal checks accepted. If the processing fee is not received with the application, the application will not be processed.
Department of Nursing Address
Department of Nursing
Stephenville, Texas 76402
254-968-9139 (General Office Number)