NASA University Student Launch Initiative, or USLI, is a competition that challenges university-level students to design, build and launch a reusable rocket with a scientific or engineering payload to one mile above ground level, or AGL. The project engages students in scientific research and real-world engineering processes with NASA engineers. 
USLI at Tarleton State
After a successful first year in competition last year, the team is excited about what this year has in store. This year, Tarleton Aeronautical Team will be pursuing competition in NASA's USLI for the first time. This year's team consists of students from a range of departments across campus. Students involved in the project this year are from Tarleton's physics, mathematics, computer science, engineering physics, and engineering technology departments. To learn more about each department and degree plans, click the corresponding link below.
Tarleton Aeronautical Team's proposal has been selected by NASA for competition in April 2013. The team received $2,780 from NASA for the science mission directorate payload. Only the top six proposals have received funding for this payload.
The following are the teams that have been selected for competition in April:
2012-2013 NASA University Student Launch Initiative Teams
- Alabama A&M University -- Normal, Ala.
- California Polytechnic Pomona -- Pomona, Calif.
- Century College -- White Bear Lake, Minn.
- Citrus College -- Glendora, Calif.
- Clark College -- Vancouver, Wash.
- Florida A&M University -- Tallahassee, Fla.
- Georgia Institute of Technology -- Atlanta, Ga.
- Harper College -- Palatine, Ill.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, Mass.
- Mississippi State University -- Starkville, Miss.
- New Mexico State University -- Las Cruces, N.M.
- North Carolina State University -- Raleigh, N.C.
- Northwest Indian College -- Bellingham, Wash.
- Northwestern University -- Evanston, Ill.
- Pennsylvania State University -- University Park, Pa.
- Purdue University -- West Lafayette, Ind.
- Santa Fe College -- Gainesville, Fla.
- Tarleton State University -- Stephenville, Texas
- University of Alabama -- Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- University of Alabama in Huntsville -- Huntsville, Ala.
- University of California Davis -- Davis, Calif.
- University of Central Florida -- Orlando, Fla.
- University of Florida -- Gainesville, Fla.
- University of Illinois Urbana Champaign -- Champaign, Ill.
- University of Louisville -- Louisville, Ky.
- University of Minnesota -- Minneapolis, Minn.
- University of Nebraska -- Lincoln, Neb.
- University of New Hampshire -- Durham, N.H.
- University of North Carolina Charlotte -- Charlotte, N.C.
- University of North Dakota -- Grand Forks, N.D.
- University of Notre Dame -- South Bend, Ind.
- University of South Alabama -- Mobile, Ala.
- Vanderbilt University -- Nashville, Tenn.
- Virginia Tech -- Blacksburg, Va.
- Western Kentucky University -- Bowling Green, Ky.
- Windward Community College -- Kaneohe, Hawaii