- Each Senator shall:
- Represent their constituents on all issues.
- Attend Senate meetings and other necessary functions.
- Present regular reports to the Senate.
- Sponsor Senator events.
- Sponsor legislation, speak on the Senate floor, and vote.
- The Student Senate is governed by the Student Government Association Constitution and the By-Laws created therein.
- Senate Officers – Senate Pro Tempore, Senate Secretary, Chief Justice
As defined by the Student Government Association Constitution.
As defined by the Student Government Association Constitution and Election Code.
The House and the Senate both shall create, discuss, and vote upon legislation. Legislation is passed with majority or 2/3 vote (dependent upon type of vote being exercised) in the House and the Senate, and then it is forwarded to the President of Student Government Association for approval.
Scholastic and Conduct Policy
- Academic – All members must comply with the academic standards as set forth in the Student Government Association Constitution.
- If a senator does not meet the grade requirements, then that senator will be removed from the Senate and the Senator’s seat declared vacant.
- Senator Dress Code – All Senators shall be required to adhere to professional dress standards in official Senate Meetings. Professional dress is considered to be the following:
- Gentlemen – Dress pants, dress denim (no blotched fading or holes), or slacks with button up or polo shirt tucked in with a belt. Shirts must remain tucked in throughout the duration. No baseball caps, hats, t-shirts, shorts, sneakers, tennis shoes, flip flops allowed.
- Ladies – A dress, skirt, slacks, dress pants, dress denim (no blotched fading or holes), or pantsuit with an appropriate blouse. No baseball caps, hats, t-shirts, shorts, sneakers, tennis shoes, flip flops allowed.
- Failure to adhere to the dress standards outlined will result in the following course of action: 1st offense – warning and re-emphasis of dress code, 2nd offense – censorship of voting privileges of the member, resulting in an official absence for the duration of the meeting. The parliamentarian will recognize those senators who do not meet dress code after the first role call. The Senator reserves the right to appeal any decision, if they feel the decision is biased or inappropriate. The appeal requires completion of the appeals for, with excuse, to be turned over to the Senate Officers for final decision before the next scheduled Senate Meeting.
- It is the responsibility of the Parliamentarian of the Senate to check for dress code violations. Records of these violations will be sent to the Administrative Assistant of Executive Council of the SGA. It is the responsibility of the Parliamentarian and the Senate to turn over the information weekly.
- Senator Events – Senators from each college and class are required to hold at least one senator event per semester. If the Senator(s) fail to do so, it will count as one unexcused absence.
- Senator Recognition – When recognized by the Pro-tem the Senator shall stand, address the Pro-tem or presenter, state their name and caucus represented, and proceed. Attempts to speak out of order will result in the Senate Pro-tem’s decision whether or not to censure the voting privileges of the member, leading to an official absence for the duration of the meeting.
- If a Senator accumulates three (3) unexcused absences during the full-term of the Senate, the senator will automatically be placed into an impeachment trial as defined in the SGA Constitution.
- Excused absences will be limited to two per term. Once the two excused absences have been granted then all subsequent absences will be considered unexcused. An excused absence shall be defined as:
- An excused university absence as defined in the university handbook.
- And absence due to a departmentally scheduled exam.
- An absence that the Senate Officers deem of merit (illness, etc.)
- All absences are to be considered unexcused unless evidence is provided detailing otherwise. For an excused absence to be granted, the senator must show reasonable cause for the absence. The senator must present his/her evidence of the excused absence before the next scheduled senate meeting with the Senate Officers by completing the appeal form. If the absence is not appealed before the next Senate meeting. The absence will automatically be considered an unexcused absence regardless of the reason.
- One roll call will be taken during the Senate meetings of the Student Senate, after calling the meeting to order.
- It is the responsibility of the Secretary of the Senate to check for absences. Records of these violations will be sent to the Administrative Assistant of Executive Council, it is the responsibility of the Secretary of the Senate to turn over this information weekly.
As defined by the Student Government Association Constitution
All Senators may be required to attend one (1) development activity per semester