Texan Cheer Tryout Information
Texan Cheer Tryouts
Tryouts will take place May 17-18th.
- Accepted or in the process of being accepted to the University.
- Current Students at TSU must be carrying a 2.0 cumulative GPA or better.
- Must have current Health Insurance.
- Must bring a completed copy of the Tryout Application.
- Must pay the tryout application fee of $40, non-refundable.
|Solid Black Spandex and Sports Bra||Plain Black T-shirt|
|White Bow||Clean Shaven|
|Cheer Shoes||Cheer/Athletic Shoes|
|Friday Night, May 17th||6-9pm||Optional open practice. This is an open workout that is voluntary. It is a good way for the coaches to see you work and interact with others.|
|Saturday, May 18th||8am||Check-in for both COED and All-Girl Candidates|
|8:30am||Mandatory information meeting and warmup|
|9:00am||Preliminary evaluations start. Teaching of the fight song.|
|*1:00pm||Finalists Posted Lunch Break|
|2:00pm||Final Tryouts Start.|
|*5:00pm||Callbacks if needed.|
|*8:00pm||New Squad Posted on the website.|
|Sunday, May 19th||12 noon.||Mandatory New Team Meeting and First Practice|
Recommended Skills and Tryout Format
- Standing Back Tuck or Full.
- Jumps to a Handspring tuck or full.
- Running: Must have at least a Handspring tuck, optional full.
- Additional pass if you have better than a one to full.
- Standing back handspring or tuck
- Jumps to handspring or tuck
- Running: Must have at least two handsprings
*Must be performed with people that are trying out as well.
- Two stunts judged on execution and difficulty.
- Use variation into stunts (rewinds, fullups, front handspring ups etc)
Females: Both stunts should show variation and front and back flexibility and should end in a double down.
Males: Both stunts should show ability to advance in stunting.
We are interested in seeing collegiate level flipping baskets. We are aware that you may not have had the opportunity to train them yet, so potential will be considered in this department.
All incoming or transfer students are encouraged to submit their application for admission as soon as possible. Please visit Office of Admissions website or contact the Office of Admissions at 254-968-9125 or 1-800-687-8236 for more information on the admission process.
Please feel free to contact Coach Benjamin about any questions you may have regarding requirements for tryouts.
It is highly encouraged that you attend in person, but video tryouts will be accepted for those unable to attend. Any pre-tryout videos would be gladly accepted. Please be sure to include jumps, running tumbling, standing tumbling, and stunts with body positions and double downs in your video.
Please continue to check back with us for tryout application information as well as for clinics being offered. The more we know you through clinics and things like that, the better chance you have of becoming part of our family.
Phone: (254) 968-0561
If you make either squad, here are the dates you will need to set aside for the summer:
- June 14-16
- June 28-30
- Coed ONLY: July 12-13
- July 17-19
Camp at SMU:
- July 20-22