Things to Consider
The Truth Is Tough
- Few international students will find employment.
- You must work much harder than domestic students to find a job.
- English language skills matter.
- You must bridge the cultural gap to sell yourself.
Why Employers Do Hire Internationals
- Technical skills
- Language and cultural skills
- Faster, smarter, better
Where Opportunity Isn't
- Direct, head-to-head competition with domestics when you have no edge.
- Announced openings (drawing hundreds or thousands of applications)
- On-campus recruiters who don't want to interview foreign nationals
Where Opportunity Is
- Hidden job market
- Others from your home country who are officers or owners of companies
- Others from your home country who have jobs here
- Former international student with jobs here (internships or H1-B)
- Smaller companies in rural areas that are exporting
- College or university employment after graduation
- Your home country consulate
Plan Your Work/Work Your Plan
What is your marketing plan?
What is your backup plan?
Be sure to consider
- Working for academic institution, teaching, TA
- Grad school
- Working internationally for a company based in home country
- Returning home and achieving success with your American education
University Tennessee Career Services
"The Job Search For International Students"
Donald Asher, Asher & Associates
Mark Rhoades, ReedSmith