The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations in 33 introductory college subjects that allow individuals to earn college credit for what they already know regardless of how that knowledge was acquired -- through advanced course work, independent study, work experience, professional development, or extracurricular activities. Our institution awards credit for successful scores on CLEP exams.
CLEP exams are 90 minutes long and are administered on a computer. Students receive instant score reports following completion of the exam with the exception of English Composition with Essay.
There are 33 exams offered by CLEP and TSU. They cover courses in the disciplines of business; composition and literature; foreign languages; history and social sciences; and science and mathematics.
**TSU administers all 33 exams but ONLY gives credit for the list below. **
If you are taking this exam for credit at Tarleton State University, please check with your advisor or department to be approved.
- CLEP exams require college-level knowledge and critical thinking ability; sufficient preparation is required to do well.
- All CLEP exams are administered on computer.
- The exams are timed. All are 90 minutes long.
- With the exception of English Composition with Essay, the tests are composed primarily of multiple-choice questions. Some mathematics exams include fill-in type questions.
- All exams are scored on a scale of 20 to 80.
- The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends a credit-granting score of 50 with the exceptions of four-semester language exam scores that are higher. *
- Score reports are available upon completion of the exam so students know right away how they performed.
* An examinee cannot retest on the same exam within a 6 month period.
*Each institution sets its own policy. Check your college's policy to confirm credit-granting scores.
**Scores for English Composition with Essay are available 2-3 weeks after the exam date.
For more information about the content and format of CLEP exams, please visit College Board: CLEP.
|TSU Courses||Name of CLEP exam||Score Required||Hours Awarded|
|BIOL 120 General Biology||General Biology||50||4|
|CHEM 105 College Chemistry||General Chemistry||50||4|
|CIS 103 Intro. to Computer Information Systems||Information Systems &
|ECO 201 Prin. of Economics: Macro||Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3|
|ECO 202 Prin. of Economics: Micro||Principles of Microeconomics||50||3|
|ENGL 204 British Literature||English Literature w/Essay||50||3|
|ENGL 203 American Literature||American Literature w/Essay||50||3|
|FREN 101, 102 French||College French||57||6|
|FREN 101, 102, 201, 202 French||College French||62||12|
|G B 432 Business Law I||Introductory Business Law||50||3|
|GERM 101, 102 German||College Level German||57||6|
|GERM 101, 102, 201, 202 German||College Level German||63||12|
|HIST 101 World History to 1700||Western Civilization I||50||3|
|HIST 102 World History since 1700||Western Civilization II||50||3|
|HIST 201 History of the U.S. I||U.S. History I||50||3|
|HIST 202 History of the U.S. II||U.S. History II||50||3|
|MATH 107 College Algebra||College Algebra||50||3|
|Math 108 Elementary Applied Mathematics
|MATH 118 Precalculus||Precalculus||50||4|
|MATH 120 Calculus I||Calculus||50||4|
|MGMT 301 Principles of Management||Principles of Management||50||3|
|MKTG 314 Marketing||Principles of Marketing||50||3|
|POLS 201 American Government||American Government||50||3|
|PSY 101 General Psychology||Introductory Psychology||50||3|
|SOC 201 Intro. to Sociology||Introductory Sociology||50||3|
|SPAN 101, 102 Spanish||College Spanish||57||8|
|SPAN 101, 102, 201, 202 Spanish||College Spanish||66||14|
*Credit for only one course will be assigned.