Take the steps to begin your journey:
First Time Freshman
the Fall 2017 application is open!
At the time of application, students with no college credits since graduation from high school or entering Tarleton from a Texas public high school accredited by the Texas Education Agency, a Texas non-public school accredited by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission or an accredited out-of-state high school, are first time freshman. College credits earned prior to high school graduation (dual-credit) and courses taken immediately following high school graduation during the summer do not classify a student as a transfer student. To be granted regular admission a first-time freshman must meet the Uniform Admission Policy below. Students who are potentially interested in attending Tarleton are encouraged to complete a "four by four" program under either recent or current high school standards and to include Algebra II as defined under either set of high school diploma requirements.
Items needed for application process:
- ApplyTexas Application
- $45 Application Fee
- Official High School Transcript
- Official SAT or ACT test scores
- Any other items requested by the Office of Admissions based on application answers
Requirements for Admission
- Rank in the top 10% of graduating class and provide SAT/ACT scores, including the writing component**;
Beginning November 2014, students in the Top 10% of their graduating class must complete one of the following from a Texas public high school:
- the Distinguished level of achievement under the Foundation High School Program
- the Recommended High School Program, or
- the Distinguished Achievement Program
- or meet one of the combinations of high school quarter rank and entrance scores listed below (Tarleton will seek to adhere to these guidelines but changing conditions including larger than expected numbers of qualified applications could require change.):
Freshman Admission Requirements
freshman must meet the Uniform Admission Policy below.)
|Class Rank||Test Score Requirement|
|75-100% (Top Quarter)||Provide SAT or ACT scores|
|50-74% (2nd Quarter)||Old SAT = 800 or New SAT Total = 880
ACT = 16
Old SAT total consists of Critical Reading (Verbal) + Math only. New SAT total consists of Evidence Based Reading and Writing + Math.
The writing component can be submitted but it is not required.
Applicants not meeting requirements for guaranteed admission may be reviewed on an individual basis.
Uniform Admission Policy
The Texas Education Code (TEC) 51.803-51.809 requires that all students meet one of the following college readiness standards in order to be eligible to be considered for admission to a Texas Four-Year Public Institution.
- Successfully complete the distinguished level of achievement under the Foundation high school program, the Recommended High School Program or the Distinguished Achievement Program or complete the portion of the program that was available to them; or
- Successfully complete a curriculum that is equivalent in content and rigor to the recommended or advanced high school program at a high school that is exempt from offering such programs; or
- Satisfy the College Readiness Benchmarks on the ACT or SAT assessment.
- Old SAT - 1500 out of 2400 (Critical Reading, Math AND Writing)
- ACT - 18 English, 21 Reading, 22 Math and 24 Science
For specific requirements based on your entry status please see "Types of First Time Freshman" section above.
Students applying to Tarleton State University from a non-Texas public high school are required to submit a completed high school certification form along with your high school transcript. Please select one of the forms listed below, download the form to complete and return to:
Tarleton State University
Stephenville, TX 76402
For questions on which form to complete, please contact Admissions at email@example.com or 254-968-9269.
- Texas Private High School Certification Form 1 (for students who did NOT complete IPC prior to 2010-2011)
- Texas Private High School Certification Form 2 (for students who complete IPC prior to 2010-2011)
- Texas Private High School Certification Form 3 (for students graduating under the Foundation High School Program in 2014-2015 or later)
Requirements are subject to changes outlined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Early Notification of Admission
Students seeking early notification of admission must submit all required application materials. Upon graduation, a final high school transcript showing graduation date and class rank must be submitted.
Texan Gateway Program
Applicants who are very near but below the requirements for regular admission may be considered for the Texan Gateway Program. The number of students granted into this program may be limited by Tarleton without prior notice. The Texan Gateway Program does not constitute full admission to the university. A student who is granted into this program will sign an agreement for one-year enrollment at Tarleton.
Students who meet the qualifications will be contacted by the Office of Admissions. Students who meet the conditions of the contract will then be fully admitted to the university. Students who fail to meet the conditions of the contract will not be allowed to re-enroll at Tarleton State University until they succeed academically at another institution and are able to meet Tarleton's transfer requirements.
This program is to offer an alternative to students not able to gain admission to Texas A&M University as freshmen, with the opportunity for admission after successful completion of their first year in college at one of Texas A&M University's System Institutions.