Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

Who must be advised?
First time Freshmen and Transfer Students will have an academic advising hold and will not be able to register, until they have been advised.  It is recommended that students be advised before every semester.
What should I bring with me?
It would be helpful if you bring copies of any transcripts showing transfer credit.
Do I need to make an appointment to see an advisor?
We do not take appointments to see advisors.  When you arrive in Academic Advising Center we will assign an advisor to you.
Can I request a specific advisor or see someone in my major?
You may request a specific advisor when you come to Academic Advising Center. If the advisor is available you may see them.
Can I get help with course or transfer issues?
Yes.  Our advisors are trained to advise transfer students and can help you with transfer issues. Transfer students with more than 30 hours should contact their major department.
Can I get help with my major, registration, and course substitutions?
Our advisors are trained to help you with your major, course selection, schedule building and registration.  Our advisors can assist with the course substitution process.
Can I get help with graduation requirements?
Academic Advising Center will be able to help you with requirements for graduation.
Can I get help with homework and other non-advising issues?
No. We do not help with homework or non-advising issues.  We can recommend resources that can help you.  Our Faculty Advisors are here for advising only.
Can an advisor help me with holds and drops?
Academic Advising Center can handle most advising holds.  Academic Advising Center advisors may sign drop cards.  Students will be advised that they are allowed a total of six dropped courses at Tarleton. This total includes any courses dropped at another Texas institution of higher learning.
How long does an advising session last?
Depending on your situation an advising session will last about 15 minutes however if more time is needed, the advisor will work with you until your problems are solved.
What is TSI and what are the requirements for completion?

Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state law that requires the University to assess the academic skills of each entering undergraduate student to determine the student’s readiness to enroll in freshman-level academic coursework. Please consult the Tarleton Catalog, located online.


What happens if I go on academic warning, probation, or suspension?
The purpose of academic warning, probation and suspension is to make the student aware of the University’s concern that satisfactory progress is not being made in their course of study. Academic Advising Center is in a unique position to advise students who have not achieved a minimum 2.0 institutional GPA, about their options for improvement. Suspensions however, are handled through the student’s college dean.
Can Academic Advising Center help prospective, readmit, or transfer students?

Academic Advising Center can assist transfer students and readmitted to develop a class schedule and select a major. Prospective students are encouraged to visit the Tarleton School Relations web site for additional information.