Institutional Review Board
All research using human subjects -- even paper-pencil questionnaires and surveys to collect data inside Tarleton -- must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Tarleton State University could suffer serious sanctions, including withdrawal of all federal funding, if the appropriate committee approval is not obtained before research begins.
Tarleton's IRB is registered with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Send the completed application to the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) to the attention of Mekka Steinruck at Box T-0015. She is located in Davis Hall, Room 111. She can be reached at (254) 968-1815 or via email for questions.
How are IRB applications processed?
- Once received in the OSP, the applications are logged in and assigned a number.
- Applications are sent to the committee chair.
- The committee completes an initial review and determines if they are exempt, non-exempt, or expedited.
- Applicants are notified of the final results, typically two to four weeks after submission.
For questions, please contact Dr. Sally Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (817) 926-1101 or directly from TSU, extension 7222.
Beginning July 1st, 2014 -ALL new submissions and ALL active research must be accompanied with a certificate of CITI Training completion for every person noted as a research investigator. CITI training supercedes any current NIH training. Any submissions without CITI training documentation will be rejected until training is complete.
All faculty, staff, and students that are involved in any aspect of the research proposed by submission of an IRB protocol must complete training and submit training certificate with proposal.
Institutional Review Board Members
Committee for Human Subjects
- Lewis, Sally (Ph.D.) - Chair
- [Little, Bert (Ph.D., ex-officio); Styron, Kent (ex officio)]
- Barkley, Jordan (Ph.D.)
- Burch, Gerald (Ph.D.)
- Evans, Elaine (Ph.D., R.N.)
- Gearhart, Christopher (Ph.D.)
- Haynes, Mike (Ph.D.)
- Howard, Charles (Ph.D., prisoner advocate)
- Phillips, Jo Ann (community member)
- Snider, Dwayne (Ph.D.)
- Wittie, Roger (Ph.D.)