Houses in Dublin
By Glenda Stone
Dublin is home to many beautiful and historical houses, many of which have stood for the greater part of a century. A large number of these residences have been restored over the years and appear in the same form as the day they were built.
One of the most beautiful old houses remaining in Dublin is the John G. Harris Home, which was built in 1887. Mr. Harris was the founder and first president of the Dublin National Bank. He built this majestic residence for the reported amount of $6000, a large sum of money in the 1880s. Compared to the standards of today, this seems to be a paltry amount given the splendor of this house. The three-story house contains six bedrooms, seven fireplaces, stained glass windows, and is furnished with primarily oak woodworks on the interior. It sits on an 18-acre plot of land on West Clinton Street in town [Stephenville Empire Tribune 8/16/1980].
The D.L. Harris House is another historic home that was built in the 1880s. This residence boasts huge rooms, ornate fireplaces, and beautiful woodworks. Another outstanding feature is the wrap around porch that encircles the house. This house is located on North Patrick Street [Stephenville Empire Tribune 7/8/1971].
The residence of Dr. R.A. Miller is yet another historic house in Dublin. He built this house in 1886; two years after the first roads were established in town. His house was conveniently located next door to the hospital in which he worked. An indoor swimming pool was found on the premises, as well as a stone storage building that was used to keep food products cool. The Lee White family of Dublin has also owned the house. White was an executive of the Woldert Peanut Products Company, a major industry in the town. Under their ownership, many portions of the house were renovated [Fort Worth Star Telegram 9/27/1967].
The Dr. Herndon Home/Patrick Street Inn is still another Dublin landmark. The Herndon family moved to Dublin in 1890 and built their residence at 512 North Patrick Street. It is said that the family owned the first organ and piano in the area, and that people often traveled from miles away to hear these instruments played. The house remained occupied by Herndon descendents for most of the century. This tradition was resumed when Bill and Linda Zachary, distant relatives of the Herndon family, purchased the house in 1987 and converted it into a bed-and-breakfast establishment [The Dublin Citizen 1/21/1995].