O. A. Grant Building
Constructed in 1973, plans call for the 40-year-old O.A. Grant Building to be rehabilitated to keep up-to-date with current educational needs and trends. The renovation and expansion will modernize and expand space, improve energy efficiency and create environments that are secure and will enhance learning for all students.
The project will rehabilitate approximately 12,000 square feet of space and add two additional floors above the existing auditoriums, increasing the area by approximately 30,840 square feet.
The project addition will provide new and modernized spaces, including: University Writing Center, learning and collaboration spaces, Department of Communication Studies suite, Texan TV News studio and media convergence center, public relations and event management space, video podcast rooms, student meeting spaces, and offices for the dean of the College of Liberal and Fine Arts. An outdoor plaza, complete with a tiered-seating amphitheater, is also included as part of the project to provide outdoor classroom space in the area of the existing grassy knoll.
Asbestos Removal Overview
This project has been completed.
The project encompassed the removal of asbestos-containing cementitious fire-proofing and ceiling tile from all three floors. Due to the deck height above the ceilings and the type of material, water is used in the removal. The work required the following decision points:
Tarleton State University began project activities on May 11th to remove asbestos containing fireproofing and ceiling tiles within the building. Once the asbestos removal was completed, new light fixtures, electrical wiring, and ceiling panels were installed throughout the building.
Additionally, Tarleton took this opportunity to improve the fire and life safety features of the building by installing a fire sprinkler system throughout the structure. The construction was completed approximately August 11, 2013.
- 04-10-14: Stephenville Campus Construction Update - Science Building, Administration Annex II
- 03-07-14: Stephenville Campus Construction Update: Power Outage on Monday, March 10
- 01-14-14: Construction Update - Stephenville Campus
- 12-18-13: Stephenville Campus Construction Update - New and Continued Projects
- 11-25-13: Stephenville Campus Construction Update
- 11-15-13: Construction Update: Stephenville Campus Roofing Projects
- 11-01-13: Construction Update: Stephenville Campus
- 10-24-13: Construction Update - Stephenville Campus 10.24.13 - Lillian Street Closure and more
- 10-10-13: Construction Update: Stephenville Campus
- 10-04-13: Stephenville Campus Construction/Renovation Update - Underground Electrical Utility Work 10.4.13 Update
- 09-24-13: Updates on Construction Work - Stephenville Campus
- 09-12-13: Tarleton Parking and Construction (Stephenville Campus) Update 9-12-13
- 08-19-2013: O.A. Grant Construction Update - Truck Deliveries
- 07-24-2013: Construction Update: OA Grant Underground Utilities and McIlhaney Street
- 07-22-2013: Renovations Update: Underground Utilities
- 07-19-2013: University Renovation Update: Water Outage on Stephenville Campus Saturday, July 20, 2013
- 07-09-2013: O.A. Grant Update: Administration Annex II door and gate closure
- 06-29-2013: O.A. Grant Update - Steel Delivery
- 06-24-2013: O.A. Grant update
- 06-21-2013: O.A. Grant construction upcoming material delivery schedule
- 05-14-2013: P12 Parking Lot Temporary Closure beginning May 20, 2013
Photo: O.A. Grant construction progress, 8/16/13