Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
- DUNS number: 073161697
- EIN (Employee Identification Number): 75-6001870
- FICE Code Number: 003631
- Type of Applicant: Tarleton is a public -- state supported -- institution of higher education (IHE). We are not a land-grant university. We are not a minority serving institution.
- Congressional Districts: 31 (Stephenville); 17 (Granbury, Glen Rose, Waco), 12 (Fort Worth, Weatherford)
- Texas Legislative Districts: 24 and 59
- TEA County/District Number: 072-501
- Tax exempt status: Tarleton is a Chapter 501(3)c entity. The Office of Sponsored Projects can provide a copy of the official declaration letter if a grant sponsor requests one.
- Chief Institutional Representative: the University President
- Approver for NSF Fastlane submissions and Fastlane administrator: Dr. Bert Little, Office of Sponsored Projects, Extension 9463
- Approver (AOR) for grants.gov submissions: Ann Pawlak, Office of Sponsored Projects, Extension 9588
Indirect Cost Rate
Indirect costs is also called "overhead" and "F&A." Indirect cost funding covers Tarleton's costs for project-related activities like the salaries of people involved in contract management, accounting, purchasing and payroll, as well as expenses like project-related long-distance telephone calls and copying. Consequently, to cover all Tarleton project-related costs asking for indirect costs when they are allowed in an RFP is important.
Current (09/01/08 - 08/31/12) Rates established with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) are:
- On-campus projects: 58% of project salaries and wages, excluding all fringe benefits (note: if Tarleton's project budget does not include salaries and wages, then we cannot claim indirect costs.)
- Off-campus projects: 16% of project salaries and wages, excluding all fringe benefits (note: if Tarleton's project budget does not include salaries and wages, then we cannot claim indirect costs. An "off-campus" project is defined as one in which more than 50% of the project activity occurs off-campus. For example, a project in which research data was collected in the field for six months and then analyzed by Tarleton faculty on campus for four months would be considered "off-campus."
Tarleton's negotiated indirect cost rate will not apply when grant sponsors specify a maximum indirect cost rate or, in some cases, allow no indirect costs. In these situations, the principal investigator, department head, and college dean must decide whether they can absorb the overhead costs so Tarleton can afford to apply for the grant.
When received, 45% of the indirect costs are distributed to the principal investigator (PI), the PI's department, and the PI's college and 55% to Finance and Administration.
Salaries and Fringe Benefits
The Office of Sponsored pProjects can help you obtain salary and fringe benefit information, as well as prepare project budgets and narratives.
Tarleton Student Demographics
Tarleton's Office of Institutional Research provides a wealth of information about Tarleton students.