Return to Top
Tourist and Travel Info
- Eurotrip - Backpacking in Europe
Backpacking, student and independent European travel - in depth facts, reviews, articles, discussion, live reports, and travel advice.
- Hostelling International
American youth hostels.
Internet guide to hostelling.
- International Youth Hostel Federation
Organization representing Youth Hostel Associations worldwide.
- The Hotel Guide
Search by city for hotels.
- United States Servas
An international, non-governmental organization.
Communicating from Abroad
- ACR's International Calling Codes
Calling code directory organized alphabetically by country.
- Cyber Café Search Engine
If you need access to the internet, this site can help you find out where the nearest cybercafe is to your study abroad location.
- How To Call Abroad
A comprehensive and up to date international dialing guide.
- Net Café Guide
Online guide to 4,000 cybercafes in 165 countries.
- Worldwide International Telephone and Postal Code Directory
Searchable database of telephone and postal codes.
- Petersons: Taking the Shock out of Culture Shock
An article on how to overcome culture shock.
- The Missing Linkage: The Process of Integrating Orientation and Reentry
Bruce La Brack's article on Culture shock
- UC Irvine Center for International Education: Culture Shock! Easing Adjustment
Suggestions and advice for dealing with culture shock.
- U.S. Customs
Official government website for U.S. Customs information, including links for air travelers. Information all travelers should know before they enter or leave the U.S.
Embassies and Consulates
Atlapedia Online contains full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
Excellent resource on the academic and personal benefits of participating in a study abroad experience.
- Higher Education Systems
Information on international universities by country.
Government Resources from Other Countries
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Travel advice for Mexico.
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - Mexico
Country, economy, and regional information on Mexico.
- Bon Voyage, But...
Things to think about before you go abroad.
- Canada: Department of Foreign Trade and International Affairs
Travel Information and advisory reports for countries on all seven continents-useful for all travelers, not just Canadians.
- Canada: Health Information
Health information for travelers to Mexico and Central America.
- New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Country: Travel Reports
An assessment of threats to personal safety resulting from "political unrest, lawlessness, violence, natural disasters, epidemics or anti-Western demonstrations."
- United Kingdom: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Country specific travel advice, tips and answers to frequently asked questions helpful for travelers of all nationalities, not just the British.
On-line Travel Providers
- Discount My Flights Great resource to find affordable flights anywhere in the world.
- DiscountAirfares.com Great resource to find affordable flights anywhere in the world.Online Airfare Provider.
- Expedia.com Great resource to find affordable flights anywhere in the world.Online Airfare Provider.
- Lowestfare.com Online Airfare Provider.
- Orbitz.com Online Airfare Provider.
- Priceline.com Online Airfare Provider, purchase by ticket bidding only.
- Rail Europe European rail and rail/auto pass vendor.
- STA Travel A student travel agency offering discounted air and rail fares, as well as the International Student Identity Card (ISIC).
- Student Universe A student travel agency offering discounted air, hotel, and rail fares.
- Rail Europe A single stop for European Rail Travel
- Routes International Information on transportation and travel by land sea, rail, and air
- Travel Abroad with the International Study and Travel Center
A general checklist of things to consider if you are going to be traveling in relatively warm climates.
- Travel Documents Systems
TDS is a visa agency that provides visa services for U.S. citizens for most countries for which an entry visa is required.
- U.S. State Department and Passport Services
Extensive information on passports, passport services, restrictions, fees, where to apply for a passport, etc.
- U.S. State Department: Bureau of Consular Affairs: Foreign Entry Requirements
This site contains brief descriptions of entry requirements for several countries.
U.S. Government resources
- CIA World Fact Book
Comprehensive maps, background information, and country profiles.
- U.S. Department of State-Background Notes
Specific notes and profile on individual countries.
- U.S. Library of Congress-Country Studies
On-line versions of books previously published focusing primarily on lesser known areas of the world or regions in which U.S. forces might be deployed.
- U.S. State Department: Crisis Awareness and Preparedness
Tips on how to keep informed during a crisis, including information on disaster victims and disaster relief.
- U.S. State Department: Tips for Students
Advice to students on how to prepare for a safe experience abroad, and descriptions of services the U.S. Department of State can provide.
- U.S. State Department: Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets
Lots of information about every country in the world including travel warnings, public announcements, terrorist activity, political disturbances, and country entry requirements.
Country and Culture Info
Language Learning and Information
Resources for Culture
- Culture Grams
A Wealth of Information about a plethora of countries, subscriber fee required.