Skip to page content
Return to Top

Visa and Passport Information for U.S. Citizens

You will need a valid passport for all of Tarleton's study abroad programs. If you already have a passport, check the expiration date to be sure it hasn't expired or won't expire while you are abroad. If you don't have a passport, you should obtain one as soon as possible. It can take up to six weeks to obtain a passport. Don't wait until the last minute!

To obtain or renew a U.S. passport, you first need to complete the application, so pick one up from the County Clerk's Office or download the application from the following web site:

When you submit your application, you'll need:

  • Proof of US citizenship (photocopies are not acceptable)
    • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Previous U.S. Passport
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship
  • Photo Identification (one of the following)
    • Valid Driver's License
    • Undamaged U.S. Passport (if issued less than 15 years ago)
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Valid government ID (city, state, or federal)
    • Valid Military ID
  • A passport size photograph  (Photos taken at the Office of International Programs for a $4.33 charge)
    • In color
    • 2 x 2 inches in size (5.08 cm x 5.08 cm)
    • Printed on thin, photo-quality paper
    • Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
    • Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
    • Taken in normal street attire
  • Check or money order ($110 for new passport; $55 for a renewal)
  • Completed application (see above for Internet address to download application)
  • For more passport information or to locate Post Office branches that accept passport applications, call the U.S. Postal Service customer service line at (800) 275-8777.

Once you receive your passport, make a copy of it and keep it in a secure place throughout your stay abroad. Also, leave a copy with someone you trust, such as a parent or guardian. If your passport is lost or stolen, it will be a lot easier and faster to replace if you can provide a copy of the original.

Visa Info for U.S. Citizens

Information on visa requirements for U.S. citizens is available on-line: If you are participating in a Tarleton faculty-led study abroad program, your professor will give you information on visa requirements, if there are any.

Info for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are an international student, you should check with Dr. Marilyn Robitaille, Director of International Programs, about maintaining your immigration status here in the U.S.

Because, passport and Visa requirements for non-U.S. citizens vary according to the country of citizenship, non-U.S. citizens should contact the appropriate embassy (-ies) to ask about Visa requirements. You can obtain the phone numbers of foreign embassies in U.S. at the following web site:

254-968-9632 | Fax: 254-968-9618