Skip to page content
Return to Top


Local Medical Care

Unless you have an emergency condition, you will typically not go to the hospital. In the United States it is standard to go to a private care physician for routine medical situations. 

In the Yellow Pages of Stephenville, look under Medical Centers, Clinics, or Physicians & Surgeons - M.D. for a list of local places you can go for medical assistance.

Student Health Center 

For minor illnesses or accidents, the Tarleton State University's Student Health Center provides access to doctors and nurses free of charge to Tarleton students. 

Location Thompson Student Center, Room 212
Telephone (254) 968-9271
Fax  (254) 968-9710
Pharmacy (254) 968-9766
Nurse Hot Line (254) 968-9932


  • Care of minor acute illnesses
  • First aid treatment of minor injuries
  • Administration of allergy injections
  • Women's Health
  • Crutches
  • Vaccines 

24-hour Emergency Services

For 24 hour Emergency Services, you should use Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital

Location 411 N. Belknap
Telephone (254) 965-1500


Call 911 for extreme emergency situations only.

  • Calls are allowed from any phone, including pay phones free of charge
  • Calls are routed to the proper local emergency agency
  • The caller's location and phone number are registered for quick response

Dental Treatment

Please not that dental treatment is not covered by health insurance and is also expensive in the U.S. It would be advisable to check with your dentist at home in time to have any needed treatment before you travel.


If you are using a particular medication, you might want to bring enough to get you through the first weeks in the U.S. Please note that some medicines which are sold over the counter in your home country may required a medical prescription in the U.S. If you bring prescription medication into the U.S., bring a letter from your physician stating the name of the medication, the quantity carried, and the medical condition being treated. Some medications used in other countries may be illegal in the U.S. If you have any questions you may contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in your home country.