Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule

What is the reason for the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"?

The Texas Legislature wanted to save money by eliminating state funding for students who take, what the Legislature deemed, an excessive number of hours and who have not earned an undergraduate degree.

Does the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" only apply to hours taken toward a degree or does it apply to the total number of hours taken in coursework at the undergraduate level?
Types of hours that count toward the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” include:
  • All semester credit hours attempted at Tarleton State University that were state funded at the undergraduate level, regardless of whether they count towards a degree.
  • All state-funded transfer hours attempted from any Texas public institution of higher education that the student attended.
  • Hours attempted or hours dropped after the official census date of a semester. Classes dropped before the official census date are not funded and do not count toward a student’s credit limit.
  • Optional internships.
  • Cooperative education courses.
  • Repeated courses.

Types of hours that do not count toward the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” include:

  • ROTC courses.
  • Remedial courses.
  • Technical courses.
  • Courses taken at a private or out-of-state school.
  • Credit received by credit-by-exam or advanced placement credit.
  • Dual Credit Courses
  • Other non-funded courses.
What does it mean to me if I exceed the hours allowed in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" before receiving my degree?
It means that state universities, including Tarleton State University, will have to find another source of income to make up for the lost state funding. At Tarleton State University, tuition for students exceeding the hours allowed in the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” will be charged an additional $100 per semester credit hour.
Will there be just one rate applied for all Tarleton State University students who exceed the limit, or will there be different rates depending on individual circumstances?
All students will be charged the additional $100 per semester credit hour for courses which exceed the limit allowed in the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule".
Will there be exceptions to the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"? If so, what are the exceptions and how would I apply to get one?
Exceptions will be decided by the Undergraduate Funding Limit Appeal Board. For more information on how to file an appeal please click here.
Does the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" apply to all categories of students (international, in-state, out-of-state, children of veterans, full-time, part-time, etc.)?
Currently the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” only applies to Texas resident students.
What if I have changed majors and I need a certain number of hours to complete my new degree program that will cause me to exceed the hours allowed in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"?
The “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” will apply to all Texas resident students even if you change your major.
If I enroll in graduate school and am required to take additional coursework at the undergraduate level which exceed the limit in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" will I be charged the additional fee?
If you enroll in graduate school and are required to take undergraduate courses, the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” does not apply if you have already received a baccalaureate degree.  However, if you have not received a baccalaureate degree the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" will apply.
Will the course hours recorded on my record as "incomplete" "withdrew" "failed" etc. be counted in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"?
Semester credit hours from all state-funded institutions in Texas recorded on your record as incomplete, withdrew, failed, or any other such designations, will be counted toward the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” as attempted hours.
If I repeat courses in order to improve my grade standing, will all hours taken in a course count toward the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" total credit hours?
If you repeat a course in order to improve your grade, all hours taken towards this course will be counted toward the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” total even if the course is excluded in your GPA calculation.
If I complete a degree and want to come back to Tarleton and enroll in an extra course for "continuing education" will these hours be counted toward the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule" hours?
If you have already completed a baccalaureate degree and want to come back and enroll in “extra” courses the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” will not apply to you because you have already completed a baccalaureate degree.
If I am on social security/ retirement status and am completing a degree, will I be subject to the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"?
If you are on social security or  retirement status and are completing a degree, the legislation does not provide  an exception from the charging the additional tuition rate should you exceed  the limit allowed in the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule".
What if I am receiving financial aid because of my family financial status; will I still be subject to paying the higher rate if I exceed the limit allowed in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule"?
If you are received financial aid  because of a family financial status, you will be still be subject to paying  the additional tuition rate should you exceed the limit allowed in the  “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule.”
What if I leave or am suspended from Tarleton State University or another institution and return later under a new major or catalog degree program?
If you leave or are suspended from Tarleton State University or any other institution and then re-enter under a new major or new catalog degree program, all previously taken hours, even if they are several years prior, will still count toward the courses allowed under the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule”. These hours count as hours previously attempted because they were funded by the State of Texas.
In addition to my degree program, there are some additional elective courses I would like to take. Will I be subject to the higher tuition rate if my hours exceed the limit allowed in the "Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule", even if my intent was to take a few "change of pace" courses while I was completing my degree?
Any hours taken beyond the total hours allowed under the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” no matter if they count toward your Degree Program or were taken solely for edification purposes will affect your tuition rate increase.
What if I am pursuing a double major, pursing two baccalaureate degrees at the same time, or are pursing a minor with my baccalaureate degree do the additional hours taken towards these actual degrees affect the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule”?
If you are pursuing a double major  or pursing two baccalaureate degrees at the same time, the major with the  highest total required hours for the degree will be used to figure the hours  allowed toward the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule”. All hours which exceed  the limit under the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule” will be charged the  additional tuition rates. All hours towards a minor will also be included in  the hours allowed under the “Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule”.

Application Status

How do I check my application status?

You can check your application status by watching the How to check your Tarleton State University application status video and following the instructions.

Personal Information

What information is provided to the general public from my records?
This information can be found at the front of the catalog under "Privacy of Information."  Anything designated as directory information can be made public unless the students desires to withhold all portions: student's name, address, telephone number, place of birth, major field of study, military service status, religious preference, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, dates of University attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous education agency or institution attended.  If you wish to restrict the release of this information please complete the Directory Information Release Restriction Form and return it to the Registrar's Office.


What does it mean when I receive a registration add error?
A registration add error means that there is a conflict with the course section you are trying to register for.  There are a number of registration add errors that can prevent you from enrolling in a class and most will require a registration override from the instructor or department.  Students may visit our registration error page to determine which registration add error is affecting them and how to resolve it.
How do I request a registration override?

Contact the instructor or department directly to request the appropriate registration override to enroll in the course.  Search the campus department directory for the instructor's and/or the department's contact information.

Very Important:
  • Once you receive notification that you have been granted the registration override, you must login to myGateway and enroll in the course.  You will not be automatically enrolled in the course.
  • Review the catalog to make yourself aware of any other restrictions that may be applied to the course so that you request all the applicable overrides.
How can I find my user ID to login to myGateway?
Please follow this link UID Look up to obtain your user ID.
Can I get into a closed course?
Only the instructor or the department of the course offered can allow you into a closed section.  You should first try to find an open section of the course before contacting the instructor or department for an override.  Although some overrides are given, they are never guaranteed.
I have a hold that won't allow me to register. What should I do?
First, determine where the hold originated from.  Then, contact the appropriate department to determine what action needs to be taken to remove the hold.  Registration holds vary and can be administrative, academic or financial.  If you are not sure where the hold originated from, you can contact the Registrar's Office.
When I try to register, it tells me "my academic standing prevents me from registering." What should I do?
Likely, this means that you are on Academic Suspension.  The rules of academic probation and suspension are outlined in the Tarleton Catalog.  You can appeal the suspended status through the dean's office of your appropriate college.  If the appeal is granted, you will be give an override to register for classes.

Degree Evaluations and Changes

Who do I need to contact to change my major or degree?
You will need to see your academic advisor to change your major or degree.  If you have not yet filed a degree plan, you will need to submit an initial degree plan using the "Degree Plan Acknowledgement & Responsibility" form and have your advisor sign it.  If you have a degree plan on file, your advisor will need to complete a revised "Degree Plan Acknowledgement & Responsibility" form.  These forms will then be forwarded to the Registrar's Office for processing.


When do final grades have to be posted?
Final grades must be posted by the deadline as indicated on the Academic calendar and in the university catalog.
How do I check my grades?
Students may check their mid-term and final grades by logging into myGateway and following these instructions.
Are professors required to post a mid-term grade?
It is recommended (but not required) instructors post mid-term grades for freshman and sophomore students in 1000 and 2000 level courses and the grades be made available to the student. Students should speak to their instructor if they have questions about class performance.

$1000 Tuition Rebate

If I have used financial aid (gift aid especially), can I still qualify for the tuition rebate?
Yes. These are student resources. The only students who would be categorically unable to receive the rebate would be those who had been exempted from the payment of tuition for the full period of undergraduate studies.
Why do dropped courses count against me?
A student who is enrolled in a course at the census date takes up a slot that can't be used by another student. But more important form a financial perspective, the state pays the college or university for all enrollments at the census date. So courses dropped after that Census Date cost the state money regardless of whether the student completes the work and earns the hours or not, and this can make universities less efficient.
I'm majoring in English, but also doing initial teaching certification as part of my degree. Does that mean I can't qualify for the rebate?
Not necessarily. You would qualify for the rebate if you had attempted no more than 3 hours beyond the minimum number of hours needed to complete both the English major and the initial teacher certification program that were part of your degree. Please contact our office to determine what that minimum number of hours is.
I'm double majoring in chemistry and physics. How is my credit hour limit calculated?
The credit hours for the degree requiring the lowest number of hours would be the base requirement, and to that number would be added any degree requirements that are additional to the second major. Thus, you would have to complete your degree within three hours of the minimum number of hours required to complete a double major in chemistry and physics. This number would be less than the sum of the hours required for each degree individually, since there is bound to be some overlap in courses (in the general education core curriculum, for example). Please contact our office to determine what that minimum number of hours is.
I qualified for the tuition rebate, but my rebate was applied to my student loans. Why didn't I get the money?
The Legislature chose to require that tuition rebate money first go to pay off student loans owed to the State of Texas.  This provision was probably put in for reasons of fiscal prudence.
I turned in a tuition rebate form, when will I find out if I get the rebate?
Tuition rebate forms will be processed after graduation.  An email will be sent to your go.tarleton email account approximately 8 weeks after graduation letting you know whether you did or did not receive the rebate.  If you have any questions regarding when and where your check will be mailed, please contract Business Services.

Important Dates and Deadlines

Where can I find the deadlines for dropping a course and withdrawing from the university?
The academic calendar and catalog lists the "Important Dates and Deadlines" for dropping a course and withdrawing from the university.  Students may refer to both the academic calendar and the catalog online.  The "Withdraw" page on our website also contains the "Tarleton Refund Schedule" for withdrawing students.  For other important dates and deadlines please contact the registrar's office at 254-968-9419.

Drops and Withdrawing from the university

When can I drop a class through myGateway?
Students may drop a class online through myGateway anytime before classes begin for that semester.  Once classes begin, students will have until the last day of Add/Drop/Late Registration (3rd class day for the fall/spring semester, and 1st class day for the appropriate summer term) to drop a class online through myGateway.  However, students will not be able to drop all of their classes online after classes begin.
How do I drop a class if Add/Drop/Late Registration has already passed?
After add/drop/late registration has already passed, students must obtain a drop form from the Registrar's Office in order to drop a course. Dropping online through myGateway will not be available.
If I drop a course will it show on my transcript and will receive a refund for dropping the course?
If a course is dropped on or before the census date for the appropriate session, the drop will not be recorded on the student's academic transcript, and the student will receive a refund for the tuition and fees associated with that course.  If the course is dropped after the census date and no later than the last day to drop a course for the appropriate session, the drop will be recorded on the student's transcript as a "Q", and the student will not receive a refund for the drop course.  Students may refer to the Academic Calendar for the official drop and withdraw dates for the appropriate semester.
How do I withdraw from the university?
Students who wish to withdraw from the university may do so online through myGateway prior to classes beginning.  Once classes begin, it will be necessary for students to contact the Registrar's Office (254) 968 - 9121 to withdraw from the university.

Texas Common Course Numbering System

What is TCCNS?
You may find this link informative: In short, TCCNS is designed to allow similar courses among different Texas colleges and universities to be equivalent, in level and in number of hours. You should also view the Naming Rubric portion of the page in the link, as it explains how to read the new 4 digit number - it is intuitive at a glance to see the level and hours of any given course.